Akeet.com
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Would You Participate In...
MrAkeet
Super Administrator

question.gif posted on 11/5/2009 at 06:45 PM
Would You Participate In...

Hello everyone,

got this via another site...

an experimental drug research study if you qualified to do so?

Yall know those studies where they get a bunch of people to test out a new drug and they pay them like $1000 give or take a few hundred.

Why or why not?

Just Me,
MrAkeet
:dork:
iam2icee

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 11/6/2009 at 05:47 PM

Definitely Not! Those drugs they are trying out on you are not proven to work, could make your symptoms or illness worse and since when has human life become so unimportant that we'd use them as guinea pigs? Let them test pet rats, if it works out and they don't die in a month, I'll think about it. :)
ATru_Gem

[*] posted on 11/9/2009 at 08:04 PM

I don't live far from a teaching hospital - and they always advertise for 'test bunnies.' Lots of time it's for stuff you already take. Not too long ago they were looking for folks who drank a certain amount of liquor / day - as well as folks who smoked marijuana. You had to live with them for the duration of the test. They supplied you with whatever drug (alcohol/marijuana) you signed up for and monitored your results. Last week I heard on a radio they were looking for folks to test a new birth control. Sometimes it's folks who have high blood pressure and they want to test a new drug for that. I've known of folks who had such a fatal strain of cancer that they're only option was experimental drugs. Sometimes in addition to the medication, they pay you - sometimes you have to be a live-in for a few months, sometimes you can go home.

I've had friends take various test drugs. A guy friend was testing a new drug for his Lupus. I have not heard of anyone growing another arm ;), or having any noticeable side effect. Sometimes it's as simple as trying to develop a drug you can take without prescription - so they're trying to match the similar, stronger drug.

I guess it would depend on how much I needed the drug which they are testing. I would be something I'd have to put much thought in. I'm sure most of the drugs in our medicine cabinets have at one time used human test buddies - be it a Tylenol or a drug to reduce your high blood pressure.
iam2icee

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 11/10/2009 at 05:06 AM

Tru_Gem I can appreciate the sentiment. If I were already dying of a disease or illness and I wanted to live, sure I'd take whatever experimental drug there was, even if it were only a slim chance it would work, i have nothing to lose, I'm dying already. There are millions of drugs though that were tested on rabits, mice and other forms of life without having to delve into the human race. On a completely sober day I'd have a hard time saying yes to human testing..
ATru_Gem

[*] posted on 11/10/2009 at 10:07 PM

I feel you iam2icee - flashbacks of the Tuskegee experiment where they used almost 400 men to supposedly cure them of syphilis comes to mind - as well as other cases in which they had no intention of curing the disease they claimed the test project was about. Decades ago most of these testings were a set-up. I would like to believe they are regulated a lot more severely nowadays.

Go To Top