Akeet.com
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Supporting Black Businesses...
MrAkeet
Super Administrator

question.gif posted on 11/19/2009 at 01:00 AM
Supporting Black Businesses...

Hello everyone,

got this via another board...

Do you feel like you should be supporting black businesses over those run by other races?

Why or why not?

Do you go out of your way to do so? Or do they get the same treatment as any other business?

Just Me,
MrAkeet
:dork:
ATru_Gem

[*] posted on 11/20/2009 at 02:37 AM

Yes I believe we should support each other - but typically blacks don't do that. If we do we want to be cut such a deal that the entrepreneur loses out. We complain about folks coming in the hood and taking over, yet we refuse to support each other. It's a big thorn of contention with us. We can't grow if we don't have each others back. I keep hope alive that one day we'll get better on that front.
MrAkeet
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11/20/2009 at 05:54 AM

So true to what you saying, as some BLACKS just not down with giving back... Yes indeed taking the time to support the local businesses... I believe there is jealousy behind this thinking...
ATru_Gem

[*] posted on 11/20/2009 at 05:01 PM

I have some friends who live in a neighborhood that used to be primarily black. The last 5 or so years there has been an influx of Hispanics – almost to the point where the neighborhood is now being called little Mexico. Several businesses have been taken over by these folks – there isn’t a corner in that area that doesn’t have a Mexican store/restaurant/auto shop, etc. My friends always complain about them coming in and taking over ‘their neighborhood.’ These weren’t necessarily black businesses that have been taken over – that’s not what angers them – what angers them is these businesses (some are new) are now run by folks just coming into the country.

Let’s look at how this transition happened. Folks like to joke because when Hispanics come into a neighborhood they live together in a one family home – filling it up with several families. They share homes, cars, and the support each others business. Blacks on the other hand won’t share homes – nor cars, and they will only support our businesses if you give them an incredible deal. Far too many will rather go to the WM and pay full price, yet get extremely pissed if a brotha or sistah expects to be paid full price for the exact same product/service. Hispanics are known for pooling their money together quickly, allowing them to becoming self sufficient – which is one reason why they are able to purchase a store/business so quickly after coming into the country.

Look at all the hair shops that are owned by Asians. I know of none in my area that are owned by a black person. These are the same shops black women frequent religiously to get their hair and hair products. We’re quick to complain about how the Asians treat us as customers, and how watch closely they follow behind us when we’re in their stores, yet we won’t support each other enough to open up those same type stores that we frequently so heavily.

I personally don’t understand why we do this. If we had each others back like we should have, there would be no reason that another group of folks could come into a predominately black neighborhood and open up so many businesses. I applaud the Hispanics for working so hard together as a unit. I’m just saddened that as black folks we WON'T do the same.
MrAkeet
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11/20/2009 at 09:31 PM

Thats us as we just love to complain... I'm just amaze at how black women will hit up an ASIAN hair shop, or whatever... How would they know whats good for one's hair??

On the real maybe the victim role is easier for alot of us... Doesn't make one have to put forth the effort... I'm to sadden by the lack of this generation when it comes to entrepreneurship... Generational black wealth has fallen upon death ears...

Go To Top