Akeet.com
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: when is the fight going to start?
speakyspokey

[*] posted on 11/26/2009 at 01:04 AM
when is the fight going to start?

I keep expecting soul musicians to come out and fight for the music .

Sure maybe jazz has never recaptured the heights but, no one can say the musicians did not let the music die.

I expect someone like Stevie Wonder to appeal that the music should not die.

at the moment soul music is dead and buried.
BHP81

[*] posted on 12/2/2009 at 09:39 PM

I would like to pose a question:

What killed soul music? And is it truly dead? Also where does Hip Hop, which could be considered the child of Funk and Soul fit into all of this? Can it also be blamed for the death of Soul and the rise of machines in music?

Artists like Erykah Badu, The Roots, Musiq Soulchild, Jill Scott and the whole Neo-Soul movement of less than a decade ago seem to show that soul is still present in today's music although not in today's mass popular culture, perhaps. I will agree that the star power of soul's heyday has faded but does that mean that the music as a genre is gone?

Perhaps the term soul as a genre itself is played out - but the spirit of what it was and is meant to be is still being packaged and sold under new names like the aforementioned Neo-Soul.

This is a very interesting topic and I hope more people will chime in with their opinions.
twilight

Mood: sexy...and like..really...happy...

[*] posted on 12/3/2009 at 06:47 PM

yes new music is still reminiscent of soul music there are elements, neo-soul and R&B but really what changed is the sentiment in the music. I mean really will there ever be another Donny Hatthaway or was he a genius that touched down and lifted up again. Lavert is one of the greatest in my books as well, the thing is that music doesn't touch the heart as much.

first of all one of my opinions is that soul music, even old gospel was born out of pain, and history, and struggle, and i am not sure how to describe it but perhaps the character building involved in soul is not as raw and deep as it once was...for better or worse...the music has changed, and musicians don't reach deep and give chills like they used to some come close. i mean also i know this sounds crazy since i am a fit freak myself, but look at the soul singer woman, shoot they wasn't these skinny artifical school girls of today...heck aretha and all those woman had some UMPH to them...i mean not so much the men but then again something about them was different.
they had a life story they had i don't know....maybe i am being silly but i will take some "loving you is as easy as abc" lavert style then half these dudes...but then again...i love all kinds of music, but really now i try to find music off the beaten path...

but then again look at mariah and all them great voices but still the rawness is part of soul it ain't supposed to be pretty they are studioed to death, lessons to death, i don't know
speakyspokey

[*] posted on 12/10/2009 at 04:36 PM

I blame swing, as soon as that music started, everything became tiring and the same.

I had to stop listening, I can listen to Angie Stone but really listening to today rats is a pain.

You see we need to see someone stand up for Soul Music, because white people can easily revive the music and elavate themselves.

They just did that in the last ten years with jazz vocals.

twilight

Mood: sexy...and like..really...happy...

[*] posted on 2/3/2010 at 06:58 PM

hmm...i tend to think that soul singers had that gospel roots i mean how many soul singers started out in the church, a lot of the new singers don't have that start and i think that it shows...the vocals are too clean it isn't the same...

Go To Top