Akeet.com
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: BEACH BOYS...ELVIS, and Originality?
twilight

Mood: sexy...and like..really...happy...

[*] posted on 10/19/2009 at 12:56 AM
BEACH BOYS...ELVIS, and Originality?

who are they most reminiscent off..who do you think they bit the most...chuch berry I know had some major complaints about the beach boys...

how bout the beatles? who did they reincarnate...?

in todays music industry, is there such a thing as true creativity and originality anymore..?
ShoutingAlto

[*] posted on 10/22/2009 at 10:59 PM

I'm going to take the third question . . . if you want originality, it definitely exists, but most of it is OUTSIDE the music industry. A good friend of mine was talking about how hard it is for him to find good gospel music nowadays . . . he said the quality and message has been stripped out by the need to write ten songs, get them out, and repeat the process . . . that's all the industry cares about.

It's all about heading to the streets, the clubs, and the churches, and seeing what's up . . . and then bypassing the major industry when at all possible. And there's ways to do it: I tell people to just get the Musician's Atlas, among other things, and leave the foolishness alone . . .
twilight

Mood: sexy...and like..really...happy...

[*] posted on 10/23/2009 at 02:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ShoutingAlto  
I'm going to take the third question . . . if you want originality, it definitely exists, but most of it is OUTSIDE the music industry. A good friend of mine was talking about how hard it is for him to find good gospel music nowadays . . . he said the quality and message has been stripped out by the need to write ten songs, get them out, and repeat the process . . . that's all the industry cares about.

It's all about heading to the streets, the clubs, and the churches, and seeing what's up . . . and then bypassing the major industry when at all possible. And there's ways to do it: I tell people to just get the Musician's Atlas, among other things, and leave the foolishness alone . . .

i tend to agree with you...i mean even in myself i know that the old school artists have laid a foundations that has been borrowed and borrowed over and over...and though i for one appreciate the contributions of artists like Chuck Berry, Sam Cooke, and several other great artists. I almost wonder if there will ever be another one again. i mean even Micheal Jackson...I am looking for that kind of creativity, I hope I find it. :)
BHP81

[*] posted on 11/30/2009 at 04:17 PM

Imitation is the sincerest form or flattery, right? From a musicians stand point, you start out trying to learn the music that inspires you. So you spend your days learning songs off your favorite albums and perhaps even performing them from time to time in public. For some that is as far as it goes. But many people, after some time, start to create there own original music, and then their influences start to come through in the music they write. Maybe 2 % of those people find their own voice and it is completely unique to most everything else out there. But then only about .25% of that 2% will ever get a chance to promote their music on a level above local due to the fact that it doesn't sound like something that has a proven track record of sales and success.

Radiohead is a good example of success and originality but now you have numerous bands that have copied that sound and style - not as good as the original (as it never is) - and the record companies rush out to scoop them up because it sells. This happens a lot in pop rock but as well in rap and hip hop too. EX: T-Pain and Auto-Tune - now everyone is doing it. Even people in rock music, and why? Because it sells.

The next time a big rock band breaks out with an original sound or a hip hop producer comes along with an original vibe, give it two years, which isn't a long time by music business standards, and look for all of the copy cat one hit wonders. Its and epidemic.

Go To Top