Akeet.com
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: YOUTH and Music...
twilight

Mood: sexy...and like..really...happy...

[*] posted on 10/19/2009 at 01:04 AM
YOUTH and Music...

Do muscians have influence on young people in the sex drugs and rock and roll type of thinking? Such as Nirvana, Radiohead etc.

would you prevent your teenagers from this kinda music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkzRNyygfk

PoeticInspiration77

Mood: Looking Around!

[*] posted on 10/19/2009 at 03:15 PM

I would say you have to decide which is the lesser of 2 evils....rock or some of this hood rap.....I guess if I sheild the hood rap I would do the same for rock or whatever my child was listening to

ShoutingAlto

[*] posted on 10/21/2009 at 11:23 PM

Yes, musicians have always had an effect on what people think and believe . . . music is much more effective than lecture/teaching/preaching in getting ideas accepted deeply in the consciousness, for good or for evil.

There is an awful lot of rock and rap my children are not going to hear, because I will not have their minds polluted no matter what color cesspool the pollution happens to come from.
Mina

[*] posted on 11/20/2009 at 06:16 PM

Sure it has an effect on kids, but so do parents and peers. The values and stability you instill in your child early on will help them through the maze of life when they are exposed to things you may not approve of.

I grew up on metal and punk and I turned out ok.

That's a great vid, by the way. Cobain burned out way too early.
twilight

Mood: sexy...and like..really...happy...

[*] posted on 11/20/2009 at 09:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mina  
Sure it has an effect on kids, but so do parents and peers. The values and stability you instill in your child early on will help them through the maze of life when they are exposed to things you may not approve of.

I grew up on metal and punk and I turned out ok.

That's a great vid, by the way. Cobain burned out way too early.

lol...actually i love me some radiohead but at the same time i think there is age appropriateness of music, wouldn't want my 7 yo...in that but in the teens they can choose music wise that is...
PoeticInspiration77

Mood: Looking Around!

[*] posted on 11/21/2009 at 02:10 AM

if you grew up in the 80's then WE heard everything, we really didn't have this station or that playing ONLY one genre...I love me some 80's rock bands.....Eye of The Tiger, Pour Some Honey on Me....LOL

Mina

[*] posted on 11/21/2009 at 04:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PoeticInspiration77  
if you grew up in the 80's then WE heard everything, we really didn't have this station or that playing ONLY one genre...I love me some 80's rock bands.....Eye of The Tiger, Pour Some Honey on Me....LOL

It's pour some 'sugar' on me (I think it's Def Leppard - the one armed drummer band), but close enough.
The 80's gave alot of exposure for Rock to audiences not exposed to this genre via MTV. Unfortunately they did not do the same for white audiences unfamiliar with r&b because they initially refused to air videos by black artists. But MJ changed all that. David Bowie had a big part in changing their ignorant stance too.
BHP81

[*] posted on 11/30/2009 at 04:03 PM

Our culture, especially in the states, but world wide as well, has decided to take a cue from a lot of the things celebrities and musicians say. There is a line on a recent episode of the television show 30 Rock where an actress is asked by a fellow cast member, Tracey Jordan (played by Tracey Morgan) "Actors are important right?" the actress replied "Of course we are Tracey. How else would be know who to vote for."

Anyways, music does affect people in many ways and can influence the way people think, talk, dress, etc....

My opinion is that it falls upon the guardian's of the children to teach them the difference about what is real and what is glorified real. Trap Music (rapping about drug life and it's surrounding culture) is very real to a lot of people. They live it day to day, whether they are the pusher or payer or a bystander, and so rapping about it is rapping about life. The dangerous part of that is the glorification. The idea that from trapping comes money, power, women, respect, whatever - all things an impressionable mind finds exciting.

I personally grew up on this type of message from music in both hip hop and rock genres. I still would not censor my child from it. It's art and there is just as much good that come from hearing it as bad. Had my parents stopped me from buying The Chronic when I was 11 years old I may have never got into some of the old school funk and soul - which ended up having a profound impression on me in a positive way.

Go To Top